This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website Got it!

Enforcement Options

  • Depending on the debtors financial means: Landlords might access various means of enforcing eviction - with bailiffs; or, enforcing a debt (rent or bills) via distrait of goods following securing a County Court Judgement (CCJ), again with bailiffs if selling the tenants goods or guarantor's possessions to recover the debt.  Note, distrait or distress, in this context, is the seizure of property in an attempt to secure payment of rent owed.
  • Where the tenant owns no goods but has third party or other means to pay, then a judge can grant a landlord with a  garnishee order, e.g.
    • attachment of earnings order - with the employer obliged to deduct regular payments from wages and to pay deductions to the court and thence to the landlord.
  • Where a tenant owns property, say a house (rare), then a charge can be placed at:
    • any third party land registry
      • so that when sold the landlord is paid before any remaining sale proceeds go to the owner of the property (the tenant of the landlord's house).
Published: 5 November 2013 Last Updated: 17 November 2021