How To Save Water at Home – World Water Day
22 Mar 2022
World Water Day (22 March) celebrates the importance of freshwater and freshwater resources. Learn how to save water at home with these 10 water-saving tips!
When did World Water Day begin?
The UN (United Nations) first commemorated World Water Day in 1993. The UN chose 22 March because it is close to when the annual World Water Development Report is released.
Since 1993, more countries have committed to saving, protecting and raising awareness of freshwater conservation by celebrating World Water Day each year.
Why do we celebrate World Water Day?
The focus of World Water Day is on freshwater and freshwater resources.
WWD often inspires educational, theatrical, musical or lobbying events worldwide. In addition, people and organisations campaign to raise money for water projects and water organisations.
The sole focus is to remind us of the importance of freshwater and the need for sustainable management of freshwater resources.
Did you know? Globally, 2 billion people still live without access to safe water in their homes, schools, workplaces, farms and factories.
What is The World Water Day 2022 Theme
Each year a new water theme is celebrated. The World Water Day 2022 theme is “Groundwater – making the invisible visible”.
- Groundwater is invisible, but its impact is visible everywhere.
- Out of sight, under our feet, groundwater is a hidden treasure that enriches our lives.
- Almost all of the liquid freshwater in the world is groundwater.
- As climate change gets worse, groundwater will become more and more critical.
- We need to work together to sustainably manage this precious resource.
- Groundwater may be out of sight, but it must not be out of mind.
How can I save water at home?
Water conservation is an issue that needs daily attention.
Often facing many large and complex challenges, it’s normal to feel helpless when talking about water conservation.
However, each small water-saving action – by an individual like yourself – adds to a much larger solution and can make all the difference for the sustainable use and management of freshwater resources.
10 household water-saving tips:
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth.
- Turn off the tap while washing your hands.
- Wash your dishes with a plug/bowl in the sink.
- Don’t run the dishwasher or washing machine until it’s full.
- If it’s yellow, let it mellow. If it’s brown, flush it down.
- Cut your showers short.
- Turn off your shower while cleaning yourself.
- Skip the shower from time to time.
- Use less electricity.
- Eat less meat and/or animal products.
Challenge yourself! How many household water-saving tips can you complete each day for the next month?
Take the challenge and start saving water today!
The World Water Day / Leydon Lettings Logo
The Leydon Lettings Logo symbolises the Leydon logo filled up with water.
“Whoever you are, wherever you are, water is your human right.”
Share this article with your friends and start saving water together!
Cover Photo: Water droplet (Source: Wikimedia Commons)