Earth Day - Over 20 Simple Ways To Help the Environment
22 Apr 2022
Earth Day raises awareness and support for the environment. Here’s how you can get involved with the annual celebrations on April 22!
Earth Day began on April 22, 1970. Since then, it has become widely credited with the launch of the modern environmental movement.
Today, the Earth Day Network (EDN) now coordinates events in more than 193 countries across the globe.
More than 1 billion people now participate in Earth Day events each year. These events include education, public policy, and consumer campaigns, putting environmental issues onto the world stage.
By working with more than 75,000 partners in more than 193 countries, the EDN is able to help build environmental democracy. So far, it is the world’s largest recruiter of the environmental movement.
The EDN's mission: is to diversify, educate, and push the environmental movement worldwide.
20+ Simple Ways to Help the Environment
Making small changes can add up and make a big difference. It doesn’t have to be intimidating, and you might find it’s easier than you think.
Make more sustainable choices:
- Say no to plastic bottles, bags, straws, and lids.
- Opt for glass jars/bottles or tin cans over plastic ones.
- Avoid plastic-wrapped fruit and veg.
- Buy second-hand items and clothing.
- Invest in a wooden/bamboo toothbrush.
- Buy a travel cup.
Reduce your carbon footprint:
- Walk more or cycle
- Use public transport
- Use less electricity
- Waste less water
- Eat less meat
- Buy local produce
Conserve energy and resources:
- Don’t leave appliances, lights, or water running when not in use.
- Turn your engine off when in traffic or waiting at a railway crossing.
- Think twice before throwing something away.
Collaborate on environmental projects in your community:
- Participate in a litter-pick
- Plant trees
- Care for a community garden
- Donate to a local environmental cause or trust
Share your acts of green to help educate and inspire others:
- Social media
- Word of mouth
Start today with as many or as few ways as you feel able to. Together, we can create a healthier and more sustainable environment for the future.
Not enough for you? Then take a look at some of these other environmentally friendly tips:
- How To Save Water at Home – World Water Day
- World Wildlife Day – Conservation at Home
- Earth Hour: 5 Tips for Saving You Money and Energy
The Earth Day / Leydon Lettings logo
The Leydon Lettings logo shows two ‘L’ shaped islands — from an aerial perspective — for Earth Day.
“I am here to say, our house is on fire… I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if our house is on fire. Because it is.”
― Greta Thunberg
How will you be celebrating Earth Day? What action could you take to help the environment?
Don’t forget to share these simple tips with your friends!