This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website Got it!

Permission - Various and Most Common

  • Insurance Companies may require permission:
    • to let a former home
    • if a property is left vacant for longer than say 28 days.
  • Building Control may require permission
    • to conduct certain works particularly of a structural nature.
  • Planning Permission is required to
    • let certain homes via A4D in HMO designated areas
    • let licensed properties
      • Mandatory, Additional and Selective Licensing.
    • let to Sui Generis properties (7+ occupants)
    • let to any tenants in specific designated areas.
    • alter the appearance or room numbers of certain homes.
  • A landlord or his agent's permission is required
    • to sublet.
  • A Landlord's permission is required by his agent to
    • conduct certain works in advance of instructing say tradespeople.
  • A tenant's permission may be required
    • to view a property following adequate notice.
    • to conduct maintenance whilst in residence and even when absent e.g. on vacation.
  • Lenders permission is required to
    •  let a property.  This may be inherent as in BTL homes.
    • structurally alter a property
  • A Neighbour's permission is required
    • to rest a ladder on their property or gain access in this way say to effect maintenance (which cannot reasonably be withheld).
    • to work on or close to the boundary under the Party Wall Act
  • Court permission is required to evict tenants via a possession order.
  • A Freeholders' permission is required by leaseholders to let or sublet a property.
Published: 11 November 2013 Last Updated: 17 November 2021